Saturday, March 29, 2008

Remember Me Well

The Post's obituary writers have made a conscious effort lately to personalize their tributes. Some examples from today's paper:

"He belonged to [a masonic lodge] and served as Worshipful Master."

"She was especially known for her deviled eggs."

"She collected spoons, Norwegian folk art and houseplants."

"[She] was born ... either in 1908 or 1909. She never knew for sure because the city hall burned down in 1914, public records were lost and family memories were fuzzy."

I'm a little sad that none of the above will be said of me. Perhaps I should start feeding quotes to friends.

Like: "I thought he'd never leave."

And: "No one could load a dishwasher like her. No one."

And: "He was a pain in the ass, but he made me laugh."

And the ne plus ultra: "You know, he donated his brain and spinal cord for ALS research. So he is in death as he was in life: brainless and spineless." Extra points for whoever gets that in the paper.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to add . . . "she looked better in a dress than I do!"

Unknown said...

Marty has told me of the strong views you have about dishwasher loading. I think of it every time I just throw things into my dishwasher any way they will fit. Then I feel shame for being a worse gay than you.

Unknown said...

He made me google "ne plus ultra." And "Puertorriqueno."

(But I'm Texan, so learned nothing, and am bragging about that.)

Anonymous said...

Though I love him deeply, Bruce can't load a dishwasher for shit--everything piled on top of everything--cheap Gladware containers placed on the bottom that inevitably capsize and fill with cat food remnants and dirty water. But God love 'im! Michael, it is a thoroughly underrated skill that surely merits placement in yours, mine and other "deserving" obits!