Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Walk This Way

Dear friends,

It struck me the other day that ALS is a bit like a video game (albeit not a very fun one): The longer you last, the greater the obstacles. I was never much good at those games, even when my hands worked, and I certainly didn’t sign up to play this one.

I have no idea why I’m still in the game so long after diagnosis, but surely my stellar support system has something to do with it. And right behind my family and friends is the ALS Association’s DC/MD/VA Chapter.

When my voice started to go, they helped me get a talking computer, and when my fingers followed suit, they tricked it out with equipment that allowed me to keep a foot in society’s doorway. They loaned me a shower chair when my handsome new bathroom was finished this year, and they’re about to send over a mechanical lift to make transfers safer.

In addition to expensive equipment, your donations finance an ever-growing range of services. A portion is also earmarked for research, which looks more promising every year. All of this is overseen by a staff whose dedication is unmatched. In fact, a number of them have become personal friends. Hence my annual appeal.

If you’d like to sponsor me for the walk, you can do so here. Support in any amount is greatly appreciated, and contributions are fully tax deductible.

If you’re free on October 12th, come join the Jackals on the Mall. We have a great time, and there’s always room for more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

our cup runth over CK