Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Tricks and Treats

I ventured out on this glorious afternoon for my monthly rinse and set.

Sitting in front of the liberry was a strapping, rather exotic-looking stud equipped with a Bluetooth headset, a laptop, and an equally fetching black Lab. (Fetching - get it? Get it?)

As I passed, the dog, wagging its tail, made a beeline for me and gave my hand several earnest licks. Good dog! Alas, its master seemed completely oblivious.

I always thought it would be fun to train a dog to go for men's crotches. Honestly, what could be easier? You're just reinforcing a natural instinct. But I could never figure out how to teach the difference between attractive and unattractive targets.

Zap and Devo aren't particularly useful for such purposes. Zap likes everyone, while Devo just can't be bothered. Ever hungry, Zap looks for those likeliest to bear treats: women, heavy people, and the elderly. Grandmotherly types are his favorite; a surprising percentage of them have linty goodies in their fleece pockets.

One time, a gorgeous guy in the dog park knelt in front of us and cooed at Zap, only to be rudely spurned by the little pissant. Some sighthound. I still haven't forgiven him for that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It would be great to train Jimmy and Lilly to ingratiate themselves to total strangers, wait a minute they already do that but no benefits have accrued to me yet.