Saturday, September 26, 2009

Fall In!

I know: it’s not officially fall until I come a-beggin’ for the Walk to Defeat ALS. Sorry to keep you waiting. The event is later than usual this year, hence the delay. It had nothing whatsoever to do with my chronic procrastination.

November 1st will mark a milestone: the 10th annual walk for our chapter and for my personal team, the Jackals. To put that into perspective, consider that the vast majority of ALS patients die within five years of diagnosis. Why I’m still here after 12 years is anyone’s guess. Mostly it’s dumb luck, but I’m sure part of the reason is the great care I get from my family and friends, my aides, and an ever-growing army of medical professionals. (This year I added a dermatologist and a urologist. With ALS, the glamour never ends.)

For the past decade, the ALS Association’s DC/MD/VA Chapter has been an indispensable part of my support network. I honestly don’t know what I’d do without them. The caring and dedicated staff helps me and hundreds of others stay comfortable, safe, and productive by offering assistive technology, medical equipment, and monthly support groups, among many other things. The array of programs and services is ever growing, thanks to your generous assistance.

I hope you’ll consider sponsoring me for the Walk to Defeat ALS. There are two ways to do so: by going to my page on the walk site or by making out a check to the ALS Association and mailing it to me at 1611 Preston Road, Alexandria, VA 22302. Support in any amount is greatly appreciated, and contributions are fully tax deductible.

If you’re free on November 1st, come join the Jackals on the Mall. We have a great time, and there’s always room in the pack.

1 comment:

sarah Pekkanen said...

I've done this walk in Ocean City before, and would love to support your team (how could I not, with a name like that?)
xo