Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Licensed to Kill

There are so many bad drivers on the road these days, you'd think they give a license to anyone.

I could swear I remember reading long ago that octogenarians in Florida could renew their licenses by mail without so much as a vision test. A few sane people wanted to change the law, but common wisdom said the elderly 80 or 90 percent of the populace would riot if they even tried. The thought of all those canes and walkers rattling with righteous rage was too disturbing, so the bureaucrats backed down. That's my memory, anyway.

Here in Virginny, you can be functionally quadriplegic and they'll still give you a driver's license. I got a shiny new one in the mail yesterday. I can barely hold my big head up anymore, and if I turn it more than a few degrees in either direction it's likely to get stuck. Apparently that's not a concern, though, because I wasn't asked whether I was fit to drive. In fact, the online renewal process took maybe five minutes. The toughest question was, Do you require corrective lenses to operate a motor vehicle? No, I require a driver to operate a motor vehicle.

Don't panic, folks. I haven't been behind the wheel in years. I only renewed my license to use as a photo ID. And to see if I could do it.

No comments: