Friday, June 29, 2007

At Your Service

Silly middle-class me, I thought butlers went out with the Depression.

According to The Wall Street Journal, which would certainly know, butlers are back -- in a big way:

The butler boom is part of the story of how wealth has changed in America. Today's rich, with their high-tech estates, globe-trotting schedules and complicated lives, don't want traditional butlers. They want a hands-on manager, a kind of chief operating officer for My Life Inc. So Jeeves, with his white gloves, British accent and impeccable manners, has been replaced by Jeeves 2.0 -- now known as the household manager.
Hence boot camp for butlers. There are worse jobs, certainly, but I think I'd rather have a butler than be one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could be the estate manager but I probably would hate the people too much!