Saturday, June 16, 2007

Culture Schlock

The list of things that disturb me is long and complex, but figurines are way up there, and near the very top are Lladros.

You know what Lladros are: those cloyingly sentimental ceramic pieces displayed proudly in glass-shelved etageres in overcrowded homes around the world. They depict dreamy brides, precocious tots, mournful clowns. (I might be making up the last example, but then again, I might not be.) They almost make Hummels look understated. Oh, and they're shockingly expensive.

People who collect Lladros do so with a singleminded devotion. They tend to be neither young nor male.* So I was fascinated to read in murketing that Lladro has launched a product line aimed at attracting younger customers.

Will it work? Who knows. Stranger things have happened.

As a wise person once said: You can gild a turd, but it still stinks.


* I'm actually just guessing about this. Can't think of anyone I know who collects them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the very worst wedding gift we got was a Lladro bride and groom, it lived in Arthur and Shelly's basement until they moved and then disappeared...