Thursday, December 06, 2007

The Autistic Within

Whenever I read the symptoms of a medical condition, I think: Oh my God, I totally have that!

I know I'm not alone. Everyone gets nervous when they learn that the hallmarks of diabetes* are frequent thirst and urination. Come to think of it, this tendency is probably a recognized condition itself. "Suggestible hypochondria," maybe, or "self-diagnostic hysterical disorder."

That said, I identified quite a bit with the author of this article. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I had a touch of Asperger's syndrome along with my undiagnosed OCD and ADD. It would explain so much.

* Here in Butt Hollow, we like to channel Wilford Brimley and call it "the diabetus."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too suffer from OCD not ADD since I can focus obsessively so maybe I am an Aspie as well? And the diabetus is a constant concern what with the thrist and bathroom issues...

Anonymous said...

I don't have the ass burger disease, but I am sure I have mild Tourette's. OCD and ADD, too. But then, back in the 60s and 70s, you just worked thru such maladies.

Mykljak said...

Damn, I forgot to add Tourette's to the list. In my case it's probably just a willful lack of self-control, but if I can pin it on biology, I will.