Tuesday, December 25, 2007

In Praise of Eccentrics

John Fothergill, the celebrated landlord of the Spread Eagle Inn in the Oxfordshire town of Thame ..., would sometimes add an unspecified charge of a few pounds to the bill. If any of his guests queried it, they would be gruffly told that it was “Face Money.” And if they persisted in asking, they would have it bluntly explained to them by Mr. Fothergill that he charged extra for those customers whose faces he didn’t care for. Apparently, nobody ever refused to pay.

This little piece is one of the most amusing things I've read in months.

And on the same general topic is this A.A. Gill rumination, shared by Riley, on the venerable British tradition of cross-dressing at Christmas.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love England, what a fun country aside from the falling down drunks at holiday parties and the bad teeth.

Anonymous said...

That cracks me up. Cross dressing for women is just not the same.

I prefer square dance dresses myself.

I do so enjoy seeing a man in a tailored suit. Still working on t-man.

Anonymous said...

Sad about eastern Kentucky, tho. Sad.