Friday, April 25, 2008

Lifetime Lessons

I thought it was an immutable law of nature: Lifetime movies always star Meredith Baxter Birney.* Yet she wasn't in the one I caught last week, nor yesterday's.

The latter featured Val Kilmer as a happy-go-lucky blind man and Marisa Tomei as a driven architect who falls in love with him. He's smalltown; she's big-city all the way. She can see; he can't. What could go wrong?

I'll tell you what could go wrong. She could find out about a cutting-edge procedure that might be able to restore his vision. He could be hesitant. She could prevail, only for both to discover that sudden vision can be a mixed blessing. They could both adapt. And then, just as he got his sea legs, he could lose his sight all over again.

I saw it coming a mile away. Maybe I'm too cynical for Lifetime. But you have to love a movie with lines like this gem delivered by Val in the last scene: "I saw the horizon. It's out there. Even though I may not ever be able to touch it, it's worth reaching for. You showed me that."

* Except The Burning Bed, of course, which only had room for Farrah.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I bought the Summer House because I couldn't find anywhere to rent it. I'll send it to you after we watch it, you deserve better than Lifetime.