Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Just Kidding

In the neighborhood where I grew up, you're almost as likely to see a raccoon as a child these days. Every once in a while, you'll catch a glimpse of a kid in that brief moment between house and SUV, but it's a rare event to see one linger outdoors. They're always dressed in a clean, stylish outfit, and you will never witness a runny nose or a skinned knee. Any "playing" seems to occur indoors or maybe at the country club.

It wasn't always this way.

My parents split up when I was three, and my mother went to work and, later, to grad school. My grandmother lived nearby and was frequently around, but the only time my sister and I had a babysitter was when our mom went out in the evening, which wasn't very often.

After school and all summer long, we were pretty much free to do what we wanted, which was usually something outdoors.* Some parents were a little more protective - two of our friends weren't allowed to cross Connecticut Avenue, which put the creek off limits (so sad!) - but for the most part, people seemed to believe their kids could have fun unsupervised without getting into serious trouble.

I don't know how old I was the first time I ventured downtown by myself, but I flew to L.A. unaccompanied the summer I was six and to Europe when I was about 13. Somewhere in there, I took my first solo cab ride in New York. (Didn't know about tipping, which I still feel guilty about.)

It wasn't that we were oblivious to the world's dangers. I was an imaginative child - I read incessantly and watched after-school specials - and I knew there were child molesters and drug pushers around. (Beware the windowless van!) I guess the paranoia threshold was just a lot higher back then. Our parents put their faith in common sense, gave us plenty of rope, and most of us managed not to get hanged.

It was an article that got this old fart a-ruminatin'. I found it quite interesting; in fact, I wrote the author to express solidarity. Her blog is here.

* My sister and I were the only ones summoned for dinner with a cowbell. (It worked - you could hear it from anywhere.)

5 comments:

The Awakened said...

Totally went on her blog and left a comment FOR free range kids! And Peter's mom used to call them with one of those long plastic trumpet-like horns you used to see at football games. Classy.

Michael W said...

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I did more learning while I was exploring ON MY OWN as a 10-14 old than I ever did in the company of adults. My bicycle was my freedom and there was no place left unexplored.

My son (15) is taking his first unaccompanied flight this Summer (with a connection, no less!) and I'm already getting comments from, well, relatives about whether the unaccompanied minor service might be useful. The $99 airline fee shuts them up but the air of disapproval hangs over me.

Mykljak said...

I don't think you had to pay extra back then, but I could be wrong. I was dropped off and picked up by family members, and I remember being tended to on at least one occasion by a flight attendant who gave me a fun pack with a coloring book and plastic wings (the thrill!).

Your son has been around the world; I wouldn't give it a second thought. People watch too much TV.

LTYM said...

I read that article in The Week, too and it really got me thinking. I grew up the same way as you, but it's just hard for me to let my kids do the same. Maybe when they're a little older.

Unknown said...

I love this article! I lived around the corner from the zoo and could walk over there on my own. I heard my office mate tell someone her 17 year old was "old enough to take public transportation by himself." 17!!! I would think her 13-year-old was too. Its really sad - kids have no freedom, so when they finally get it they go wild.