Sunday, June 28, 2009

Fallen Star

Once again I find myself out of the mainstream.

When I replay childhood memories, Michael Jackson is not on the soundtrack. I never learned to moonwalk. I didn't even have any of his records (although I did buy a couple of Jackson 5 tracks on iTunes the other day).

Since I wasn't paying much attention to the first half of his life, Jackson was a tragic figure to me. I can't think of anyone, public or private, who seemed more tortured, more uncomfortable in his own skin.

His death didn't strike me as surprising, much less shocking. Given his long downward trajectory, the circumstances seem to fit like a glove.

3 comments:

The Awakened said...

I could not agree with you more!!!

Anonymous said...

Here is a great article worth reading:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2009/06/thinking-about-michael.html

Michael WAS the soundtrack to my childhood, but I am no less surprised at how his life ended. I hope he finds the peace in death that he could not get in life.

Mykljak said...

I'm not one of Miss Sullivan's biggest fans, either, but that is a good piece. Thanks for sharing.