Thursday, November 05, 2009

You Who?

A friend wrote this the other day:
[A]m laughing at my Mom for singing loudly and dancing around to entertain my baby while I loaded groceries into the back of my minivan... only it wasn't MY baby. Identical minivan next to mine with the side door also open to reveal similar-looking baby. Boy, was HIS mom surprised when she looked up from loading her groceries into the trunk.
Which reminded me of two incidents:
  1. At a local strip mall one evening, I was sitting in the van while Dan strapped down my chair. (You knew I was into that, right?)

    A young girl came running up, then stopped dead. You could see the wheels turning in her cute little head: Wait a minute ... Our van doesn't have a ramp ... or a man in a wheelchair!

    Glancing over, I saw a similar red minivan parked just beyond. Standing next to it was the girl's mother, doubled over with laughter.

  2. Long before the wheelchair and the minivan, I was working out one day with my friend Eddie, an inveterate tease and prankster who delighted in making people squirm. Toweling off after the shower, I thought: I'm gonna slap Eddie on the ass. He'll love it.

    I swung around and delivered such a perfect blow that a loud crack shot through the room, causing every head to jerk in our direction. My victim turned, surprised ... but not nearly as surprised as I was when I saw he wasn't Eddie.

    My jaw dropped open. "Oh my god!" I babbled. "I thought you were Eddie. I thought you were someone else. I'm so sorry! I'm really sorry!"

    "Well!" he said, brilliantly deadpan. "Good to meet you, too."

    Our audience laughed uproariously as I scurried away, mortified.

3 comments:

sarah Pekkanen said...

The ass-slapping is brilliant! I love the guy's response.
Tell the truth: did you really think you could recognize your friend by his ass alone? Is it that distinctive?

Mykljak said...

When I turned away, we were the only two in the drying-off area. I didn't hear him leave, and the slappee was standing in exactly the same spot.

Anonymous said...

A likely story...