Thursday, April 26, 2007

I Feel So Cheap

This caught my eye in the paper this morning:

We know whom Alexandria is named after. We just don't know much about the guy. John Alexander was a Scottish planter who was living in Stafford County when he paid Robert Howson, an English ship captain, 6,000 pounds of tobacco for the land that would eventually take his family's name.

That was in 1669. Alexander died eight years later. From his will, we know he owned a horse named Black Beard and a "Colt that sucks of the Farling Mare" (whatever that means). He also slept in relative comfort. In his will he left a featherbed to Elizabeth Holmes, taking pains to note that "I do not mean the best bed but the Bed I brought out of England."

I don't know what tobacco costs these days, but a crappy little tract house in Alexandria can set you back half a million dollars or more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just want to know what a "farling mare" is and what kind of bed the best bed was.

care said...

I am entirely too braindead to understand or to care what the F*** whoever sent to whoever and WHATEVAH!

Peace Love, and Feather Beds start to really stink after awhile. Now that dude was an oldpussycat. :

This is very therapeutic. When do I get kicked off?

Peace be with you