Saturday, April 21, 2007

The Ultimate Fixer-Upper

I looked up this place after reading an article about it.

The story is compelling: A honeymooning couple sees an ad for a castle in the Scottish Highlands. The 40-acre property includes 2.5 kilometers of shoreline, a couple of islands, and quite a few buildings, including its own train station and chapel. The castle itself, built in the 1860s, has 29 bedrooms and 15 baths.* After a long period of neglect, then 12 years of total abandonment, the place is in less than mint condition.

To tackle the £500,000 purchase price, the £600K in renovations, and the labor itself, the couple turns to their clan: the husband's parents as well as three siblings and their own families. A 3-generation, 17-member family sharing a decrepit castle while renovating it -- what could go wrong? Better still, winter's a-comin', and they have no hot water and no central heat.



Sounds like a reality show, doesn't it? As a matter of fact, it is: "The Dobsons of Duncraig" (which unfortunately doesn't seem to be available here). But why settle for TV when you can experience the real thing? Duncraig Castle is now accepting guests.

When I looked at the map, I realized I've been within a few miles of the place. So I can attest that the scenery is hauntingly beautiful. Just don't go in the winter, even if they've fixed the heat and hot water.


* The Scots take their castles very seriously, and many would assert with a dismissive sniff that, as a Victorian structure, Duncraig is not a castle -- merely a rich man's country house.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a real fixer-upper, I would love to see this show since I love castles but will wait until the heat and hot water are working before booking reservaton

care said...

I could do the renovations fine, but I would never shack up with my whole family and inlaws.

That gave me chills just thinking about it.