Wednesday, May 30, 2007

"Have You Tried Our Pennzoil Tempura?"

This morning I did two things for the first time in six days: I put on shoes and I ventured beyond the gates of River Hills. Miraculously, I survived my foray unscathed despite fears of rampant poverty and crime in the outside world. A week in a gated community can really change you.

Our destination was the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden, a 380-acre Eden farther up the lake, on the North Cackalackee side. We went in the morning to beat the heat and ended up having the place almost to ourselves except for a well-behaved group of schoolchildren and a couple (also well behaved) celebrating their 61st anniversary. Our expectations were exceeded.





There were scads of unusual plants in the garden, but the most exotic thing I saw was on the way home: a building that housed a Japanese restaurant at one end and an auto parts store at the other. Nobody else saw it, and I have a feeling they didn't believe me. Must try to get a photo to restore my credibility ... if I can muster the courage to go out again.

N.B.: A few people, bless their hearts, didn't realize the bikini-clad temptress in the Memorial Day post was a joke. So I'd better declare that there were actually no gnomes in the fancy garden. A few topiary critters, but gnary a gnome.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stay inside the gated community it is safer! I hate shoes! Although I have many pairs...

Anonymous said...

I'm with Kay... remember "you sure got pretty lips"

Anonymous said...

I think people who thought the bikini babe was with you should not be allowed to read your blog. Imagine all the other things going over their heads, blessed or not. I have another question - where did you learn Cackalackee? I have a friend who coined a favorite term of mine I won't recount here, who also used to say South Cackalackee, since that was where we lived, and she said she made it up - clearly a lie! The outrage of it all, maybe gates are a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Did the blogger to go college in N. Cackalackee?

That gnome has a hot ass!