Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Daddy Calls Me Princess

Like most of my friends and family, I'm plagued by constant, low-level anxiety about global warming, terrorism and our response to it, and a general sense that the world is coming to an end. So it's refreshing to discover that some people have more immediate concerns:

Dear Miss Manners:
We are taking a vacation to England this fall, and I have a tiara I wore with my prom dress. What places can I wear it out in England? I know they use them a lot there.

No, not a lot. Not nearly as often as Miss America wears hers, for example.
Elderly British duchesses have been known to get fed up waiting for an opportunity to wear theirs, despairing that when their saucy daughters-in-law inherit them, they will pluck out the gemstones to use for heaven knows what. Probably bellybutton decorations.
This is because tiaras are worn only for full-dress occasions, which nowadays pretty much means only grand state banquets or ceremonies, and the occasional full-scale royal wedding. Perhaps Miss Manners had better explain that full dress means something more than prom wear and the full-scale wedding means something more than a royal second wedding you may have seen on television. In any case, the days of private balls and grand opera nights where tiaras were worn seem to have faded away. Furthermore, tiaras are not supposed to be worn by unmarried ladies, with the exception of those who are being married within an hour of placing them carefully in their hair.
Miss Manners hopes she hasn't spoiled your vacation. You may find there a daring young lady or two who doesn't care about the rules governing tiaras as a sign of rank and wealth and plops something sparkly in her hair to go out dancing. It is just that you are no more or less likely to do so than in the United States.
Besides, tiaras are a nightmare to pack.

I'm a little jealous. I've been to England many times, including a semester in college, and my tiara never left its embossed lizardskin case (except for those inevitable liquor-induced moments when I'd position it carefully atop my raven tresses and gaze wistfully into my dressing-table mirror). Clearly this gal travels in higher circles than I do. Or maybe she's been reading too much Barbara Cartland.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tiara's give me tantrums.

Anonymous said...

Tiara's give me tantrums.

Anonymous said...

Now this this posted twice...and with the mistake.

I know Missy! It's Tiaras NOT Tiara's. But I was typing faster than I was drinking and this is what happens.

Anonymous said...

So disappointing to know that there are so few appropriate occasions to wear a tiara. I was hoping to break out my Queen of the Cochon de Lait festival tiara in London this spring.

Anonymous said...

Marty's letter was published!