Sunday, September 09, 2007

Noteworthy Names

The latest installment from the ever-growing list of names that have caught my attention:

Bessie Bell Beatty Bussey
Willie Stroker
John Hooker, defense attorney
Ruby Rolling
Hawk Koch
(Mr.) Sanatone Reddix
Juan Smith
Hak-Ye Stone
Eleanor Pope Tickell
(Mr.) Stonie Weathers
Patti Nuttycombe
Minor Appleman
Goddess Lorde
(Ms.) Triantafilitsa Mattfeld
Hugh E. Lewis
(Ms.) Missouri Maggett
Aletha Spittle
Commie Lena Bussey
Haseltine Cornelia Shockey
Etta Hook
Capitola McKnight
Thomas C. Thomas
Millard Swingle Jr.
Cornelius Marine Buffler
Lura Ann Zickefoose
Garland Godlove
Peggy Fremming
Fannie Ruffin
Ruth Pack Wolf
Gervis and Leafie Boggs Mullins
Letcher Boggs
Hattie Pitt
Fralicia Pitt
Sgt. Princess Crystal-Dawn Samuels
Blanche Brown
Kitty Mann
Pamela Polychrones Furr
(Ms.) Glorious Bazemore
Bob Eubanks
Cuesta Benberry
Ivorionne Fortenberry
Barksdale Penick
Elvira "Curly" Glascock
Ossman B. Orndorff Jr.
Colleen Fontanelle Swilling
John Lennon
Joie Waterbird
Ruth Cabbagestalk
Sedratious Fields
Anita Holm
(Mr.) Justice Shakespeare Lee
Richard Lee "Dick" Scarlett
Dick Scissors
Dick Frey
Hertha Maxine Googe
Marvel Corkrum
(Ms.) Shirldan McGrit
Bee Browning
Gay Jack
Willisene K. Garbrick
Burl T. and Burl A. Jones (siblings)
Noble White
Elizabeth Betty Windsor

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

some of these names are from obituaries, please show some respect for those who have passed. they may have interesting names - but they were real people - not just names. Please show some respect.

Mykljak said...

What could be more respectful than celebrating their names?

Anonymous said...

Garland Godlove was a good friend of mine. He drove a purple Cougar with a vanity plate that said "Godlove." I met him because I walked into the bar we both frequented and yelled "Who's the fucking Jesus freak?" He was decidedly not a Jesus freak. Nobody called him Garland except his mother; the rest of us called him Lanny. He was one of the happiest, nicest people I've ever met, and certainly the most generous. Once, when I was having money problems, he sent me $500 out of the blue, with no expectation that I'd ever be able to pay it back. We talked on the phone a couple of times a year after I moved away from Lawrence, Kansas, where he lived. I tried to call him this evening, neither of his numbers worked, and eventually I found his obituary online. When I read the obituary, I was shocked to realize it had been more than a year since we last talked. I googled him and found this page. It did not lessen my grief, but the kind of people who pull names from obituaries to post in funny lists aren't the kind of people to be concerned about the grieving friends and relatives of the deceased, so I won't ask that his name be removed from the list.
Jane
Austin, TX