Saturday, September 15, 2007

That Time Again

Dear friends,

Every year when I come begging for the Walk to D'Feet ALS, I like to highlight a benefit or service that's been of particular help to me so you can get a tangible sense of where your money goes. This year it was an easy choice.

At some point over the summer, my computer went kaput. Decisively. Most people these days are attached to their computers, but mine is much more than a convenience. It's my link to the world. Without it, I am effectively cut off from civilization. As much as I enjoy reading and watching TV, they get old after a couple of days when you have no alternatives.

The company that adapted the computer advised me to send it in, but that would have taken ages and cost a fortune. The speech-language pathologist at my ALS clinic suggested I just throw away the machine and use a Muscular Dystrophy Association grant towards a new one. I love a new toy, but I don't love tossing expensive devices when they can be repaired.

Carlos, the technology guru at the ALS Association's DC/MD/VA Chapter, had a radically different approach. He came over, diagnosed the problem, and had the computer up and running within days. Better than ever, with extra memory and vastly improved voice-generation software. How much did all that cost me? Nary a cent.

Services like this are priceless to me and many others, which is what pushes me once a year to set aside my aversion to fundraising. If you'd like to sponsor me for the walk, you can do so here. Support in any amount is greatly appreciated. Contributions are fully tax deductible, and you'll receive a receipt.

If you're free on October 21st, come join the Jackals on the Mall. We have a great time, and there's always room in the pack.

Thank you!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this will be the best year yet for fundraising!Sending check pronto...

Anonymous said...

That Kay - she's a smart cookie!