Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Off the Mark

Niche marketing is a tricky thing. Sometimes it hits the target, but sometimes it goes far, far astray.

My mother recently received a complimentary copy of a new magazine. The cover letter breathlessly enthused that, given how well they knew her, they were certain she'd be enthralled by their offering and want to subscribe immediately.

The publication? Garden & Gun.

How well they know her. She's an avid gardener, true, but also a Quaker and all-around lefty. And the tagline ("21st Century Southern America") just made her laugh, which probably wasn't what they were aiming for. Oops.

I know what you're thinking -- and no, I did not put her on their mailing list. She was equally horrified and amused, and the only thing she can think of is that she once toured some new homes in a gated community in North Carolina when she was there for a nephew's wedding. (I was with her, but I use a fake name and address when asked to sign a registry. Clearly my loss in this case.)

What about you -- are you a Garden & Gun guy or gal?
Garden & Gun attracts men and women who embody the active, outdoor lifestyle, and have an eye for beauty, an ear for fine prose, a passion for the Southern landscape and waters.

One reader wrote recently, "I am a 44-year-old avid hunter and saltwater fly fisherman. I also like a great bottle of wine and 700 thread-count cotton sheets on my hunt camp bed."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't like guns or gardening but I do like wine and soft sheets. I'll subscribe to Elle Decor instead

Anonymous said...

My Dad, 79, stroke victim, and nursing home resident, recently received a year's subscription to Jane magazine. Why? How? Who knows. I read it to find out what 22-year old women were up to. No good, it turns out.