Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Senior Moments

Senior year in college, I lived out in the sticks in a rickety old house with three friends. (Well, two friends and a flaky girl who went to school with us.) We rented the place for the ridiculous sum of $400 a month, if memory serves, from a guy who’d inherited it from his mother.

Back home in Maryland after graduation, I mused to my former housemate Joyce: “I wonder if the old lady died in the house or at a hospital.”

Giving me an odd look, Joyce said, “She died in your room. I thought you knew that.”

She probably froze to death, because the house didn’t seem to have a shred of insulation. The cold wasn’t so bad on its own, but any wind blew right through. The storm windows made as much sense as jewelry on a pauper … or a corpse.

“I’ve been trying to think what this place reminds me of,” said a visiting friend, deciding: “It’s like a bunch of shacks stuck together.”

To me it seemed more like a collection of rec rooms. Most of the ceilings were covered with acoustical tile, while the walls sported the kind of flimsy paneling that once graced basements across the land (real wood in the older part of the house, simulated in the newer part). My room even had a linoleum floor.

The property was fairly large, and we were responsible for cutting the grass, using an ancient, rusty riding mower. The steering wheel was long gone, replaced by two pairs of vice-grip pliers. They did the job, but it’s not a solution I would recommend for, say, a car. Trash pickup was once a week, and if we forgot to haul the cans out to the road, we had to either wait a whole week or find somewhere else to dispose of it – usually a dumpster behind a big store or a strip mall, furtively, after dark.

I developed a neurotic habit that year without realizing it: whenever I went grocery shopping, I had the feeling we needed margarine. This went on for some time until Joyce called me over to the refrigerator one day and pointed out the vast oleo stockpile at the back. Years later, I would have a similar episode with Calvin Klein underwear.

Something weird seemed to happen whenever I left town. After a trip to the mountains, I returned to find a dead chicken on the lawn like some hillbilly version of a Mafia threat. It was a huge, black thing, and stranger than its presence was the lack of any evident trauma. No blood, no missing feathers – it was as if the poor thing had just been strolling by and had a stroke.

A few months later, when I noticed a nasty odor in the kitchen, my housemates couldn’t smell it. I went home for spring break, but Joyce stayed behind. When I got back, she said, “Oh my god, you were right! I used the oven the other day, and the smell was so bad I had to turn it off. We need to find out what’s in there.”

So powerful was the fetor, we expected to discover a family of rats or maybe a python. It was therefore a surprise to find just a small, desiccated mouse stuck to the broiler. We threw it out, but avoided using the oven for the rest of the year.

After spending Easter weekend at the beach, I found a message from Joyce that my grandmother had called. When I called her back, she said, “A woman answered the phone earlier. Was that your maid?”

Choking back the laughter, I managed: “No, that was my roommate.”

“Oh,” she said, pausing. “You live with a woman?”

“Two of them, actually. Two girls, two guys.”

“Oh.”

I later called my dad to make sure she hadn’t had a heart attack. But first I shared the conversation with my maid, who enjoyed it as much as I did.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

And wasn't there a weird and mean cat there as well or was that somewhere else you lived with your maid?

The Awakened said...

I love this whole story!

Michael Kearns said...

This story makes an excellent contribution to the "feral houses" post just beneath it.

Mykljak said...

Kay, I thought of mentioning the cat, but the post was already running kind of long.

Mr. Big was enormous (not surprisingly) and none too handsome: white, with spots the color of Band-Aids. Joyce had rescued him from the barn where she boarded her horse, and he was never really a satisfactory pet. He took dumps the size of a German shepherd's, rarely bothering to cover them up, and he peed wherever he felt like it -- including, on one occasion, in Joyce's overnight bag.

Joyce said...

What an amazing memory! I didn’t remember the linoleum floor, the ceiling, the vice grip steering or the margarine until that very fun trip down memory lane.

The other day I was recollecting to Bernie the return after Christmas break that year, when I came in to find cocaine all over little mirrors on all of the coffee tables in what I guess we called the living room – the leftovers of Liz’s holiday party. I still have flashbacks to her scary room whenever I smell Nag Champa. And whenever I see a little ceramic crock with a narrow neck I think of that gross kitchen - with the mouse that dove into the warm grease in the crock on that stove only to die, swell up, and float to the top, stuck in the coagulated/cooled grease with its little nose sticking out. It gives me the chills just thinking about it!

Maria said...

Poor Mr. Big! And your house was a hell of a lot nicer than the Dana House I ended up in Senior year. I think they tore them all down in the nineties. I wonder if your house is still there? Probably not.

scissors happy said...

love this post.