Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Hitchhikers

A friend reports:
This morning I wanted to clean the inside of my windshield so I got the windex and reached down under my seat and grabbed an old blue handtowel. Sprayed and wiped and everything looked much better. Then I noticed dozens of seeds (?) all over the dash which must have fallen out of the towel. So I got a tissue and wiped up most of them. When I could as I was driving I started to reach up to pick off the rest of the “seeds” to drop into the trash. They were soft. They weren’t seeds. Then I noticed they were kind of ridged horizontally and one end was a little darker than the rest. 60 minutes later as I was pulling into work I’d figured out they were larvae of some kind. At least the windex had killed them!

Or so I thought. Stopped by the ladies’ room before a staff meeting and one of the little critters fell onto the floor where it started wriggling around.

Just saw another live one here in my office after lunch.

So now I know there are probably hundreds of them under my seat in the car – presumably they have something to dine on or they wouldn’t be thriving there. I really really do not want to go exploring….

2 comments:

sarah Pekkanen said...

Oh dear God...
Take solace in the fact that when I had my minivan cleaned recently, one of the guys told a story about a client who ate a fast food meal, tossed the remains in a bag and left it in the backseat, then went away for a couple of months.

Friend aka Peg said...

Solace? Not so sure yet! Just praying it's an apple core and not a stray kitten or baby squirrel. Tho' am hoping the stench would have alerted me. Since I leave for work at dawn and return after dark I'll be driving with the critters a few more days. Friday comes it's the rubber gloves and if necessary the rubber hose.