Friday, August 17, 2007

Designing Women

I wanted to be an architect from childhood until my late teens, when someone broke the news that I'd have to take math in college. That was a deal breaker for me. (As Teen Talk Barbie said, "Math is hard. Let's go shopping.")

Design remained a strong interest: I poked my nose into every structure that caught my eye (not always with permission), made a few architect friends, and worked happily for five years at the AIA.

As I near the end of the road -- with nary a shekel to spare -- building a dream house is not in the cards. (Unless everyone I know died and left me money. But then who'd come visit?) More attainable, thanks to a generous offer from my mom, is a dream bathroom -- or at least a fully accessible one.

So I was surprised and delighted to be hiring an architect yesterday. She brought her portfolio over, and we were really impressed. "A neat gal," as Dan's mother would say. This project is quite a challenge; I can't wait to see what she comes up with.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mom's a nice lady.

Anonymous said...

so nice of Prunella to aid with construction. You must be a wonderful son...

Anonymous said...

One of these days....but I too feel the moment may be slipping away with my commitment to live on the 'other' continent at some point. I love to comb through the www.worldarchitecturenews.com site and lament the sad state of most American architecture. Can't wait to see the new bathroom...