Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Losing Faith

When Times editors assigned me to the religion beat, I believed God had answered my prayers.

As a serious Christian, I had cringed at some of the coverage in the mainstream media. Faith frequently was treated like a circus, even a freak show.

I wanted to report objectively and respectfully about how belief shapes people's lives. Along the way, I believed, my own faith would grow deeper and sturdier.

But during the eight years I covered religion, something very different happened....
Quite a good read.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At the risk of getting serious, and as the on of former Southern Baptists (now Episcopalians) there's nothing so maddening as hearing the sinners explain away their sins as the product of flawed humanity. Apparently evolution is not quite done with us yet.